Prof. Emiliano Schena
Professore Ordinario di Misure Meccaniche e Termiche. Dal 2020 è Delegato del Rettore per la Terza Missione. Dal 2021 è Coordinatore della Commissione Valorizzazione della Ricerca. Dal 2022 è Presidente del Corso di Laurea in Biomedical Engineering.
2009. Ph.D. Degree in Biomedical Engineering from UCBM
2006. Laurea Magistrale” Degree (equivalent to MS) Summa Cum Laude in Biomedical Engineering from UCBM
2003. “Laurea” Degree (equivalent to BSc) Summa Cum Laude in Biomedical Engineering from UCBM
2022 – present. Full Professor at the School of Engineering, UCBM.
2017 –2022. Associate Professor at the School of Engineering, UCBM, Italy.
2012 –2017. Tenure-Track Assistant Professor at the School of Engineering, UCBM, Italy.
2009 - 2012. Post Doc at the School of Engineering, UCBM, Italy.
2009 - 2012. Post Doc at the School of Engineering, UCBM, Italy.
2005 - 2008. Ph.D. Student at UCBM.
Since 2021. Coordinator of the “Wearable Mechatronic Systems for the Analysis of Human Behaviour” class at UCBM
Since 2019. Coordinator of the “Measurements” class at UCBM
Since 2015. Coordinator of the “Laboratory of Measurements” class at UCBM
2010-2019. Coordinator of the “Acceptance tests of medical devices” class at UCBM
2012-2015. Coordinator of the “Laboratory of Measurements and Bioengineering” class at UCBM
2019-2022. Advisory board member of the Digital Sustainability Bootcamp organized by UCBM.
2021. Organizing committee member of the International Summer School on Wearable Sensors in Sports (organized by Univ. of Rome “Foro Italico”)
2020. Co-organizer of the International Summer School on Ultrasonic and Piezoelectric Sensors (organized by Univ. of Florence)
2020-2022. Scientific Committee Member of the “Advanced International School on Imaging, modeling and simulation in biomechanics & mechanobiology”
MAIN ATTENDED PROJECT (last 3 years: 2018-2021)
2022-2025: COMMON WEARS project - “COMMunity-OrieNted WEARrable Computing Systems (COMMON-WEARS)” (funded by MUR, PRIN 2020). Overall funding: 892.817 €.
2021–2023: SensE MAsc project-“Sensorizzazione di mascherine facciali ad Elevata indossabilità per la Mitigazione e prevenzione di rischi Associati ad AffatiCamento Respiratorio”. Overall funding: 150k €
2020-2022: PISTIS project-“Piattaforma Innovativa per l’armonizzazione della quotidianità dei Soggetti deboli nel rapporto con l’avanzata eTà e l’Interazione con il loro Spazio abitativo”.Overall funding: 360k€
2020-2022: SMiLe project-“Wearable system for monitoring physiological parameters to prevent work-related disorders”. Overall funding: 325k€
2020-2023: “CONBOTS project - "CONnected through roBOTS: physically coupling humans to boost handwriting and music learning”. Overall funding: 4.800.000€
2019-2021: “HOspital to the Patients, HOPE”. Overall funding: 60k€
2019-2022: “Piattaforma per il monitoraggio del processo riabilitativo, MONREAB”. Overall funding: 300k€
2019-2021. “Sviluppo di abiti intelligenti sensorizzati per prevenzione e mitigazione di rischi per la sicurezza dei lavoratori, SENSE-RISC”. Overall funding 1.000.000€
2018-2021. “Surgical versus conservative management for patients with rotator cuff tears: a randomized controlled trial” (funded by Ministry of Health). Overall funding: 400k€
2018-2019. “HEalth REmote MOnitoring System, HEREMOS”. Overall funding: 450k€
AWARD (selected last 2 years: 2021-2022)
2021. Best Conference Paper award (young) at IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Industry 4.0 & IoT, trento 2022. I was author of the paper
2021. Best Conference Paper award at IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Industry 4.0 & IoT, Rome 2021. I was author of the paper
2021. Best Paper presented by a woman award to Francesca de Tommasi, at IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Industry 4.0 & IoT, Rome 2021. I was last name of the paper
2021. 2nd place Best Paper presented by a woman award to Daniela Lo Presti at IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Industry 4.0 & IoT, Rome 2021. I was last name of the paper
2021. Sensors 2021 Best Paper Awards (awarded by the journal Sensors MDPI) to the article: Massaroni C., ... Schena E. Contact-based methods for measuring respiratory rate. Sensors, 19(4), 908, 2019.
2020. Most Innovative Chapter Award 2020 to the Italy Chapter of IEEE Sensors Council assigned by the IEEE Italy Section. I’m serving as Chair of the Chapter
2020. Best Paper presented by a woman award to Martina Zaltieri, at IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Industry 4.0 & IoT, Rome 2020. I was last name of the paper
EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBER (Selected)
Since 2021. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (MDPI)
Since 2020. Sensors (MDPI)
Since 2019. IEEE Sensors Journal
Since 2016. Journal of Healthcare Engineering
Since 2013. Acta Imeko
ORGANIZER at Conferences (last 2 years)
2023. General Chair at the 18th edition Annual IEEE International Symposium on Medical Measurements & Applications (MeMeA).
2021, 2022, and 2023. General Chair at the IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Industry 4.0 & IoT (MetroInd).
2022. Liaison Chair at the 17th edition of MeMeA.
2021. TPC of IEEE 2nd International Workshop on Wearable Sensors and Devices, Artificial Intelligence and Wearables Market (WSAIM)
2020-2022. Organizer of the event “SenseIT” funded by the project WiSe2020 (Women in Sensors) of the IEEE Sensors Council
2021. TPC at the 16th edition of MeMeA
The complete list of publications can be found at the following link:
LIST OF PUBLICATION of 2021-2022 (Selected)
1.Comparison between Chest-Worn Accelerometer and Gyroscope Performance for Heart Rate and Respiratory Rate Monitoring. Biosensors, 2022.
2.The Effect of Infill Pattern and Density on the Response of 3-D-Printed Sensors Based on FBG Technology. IEEE Sensors Journal, 2022
3.FBG-Based Soft System for Assisted Epidural Anesthesia: Design Optimization and Clinical Assessment. Biosensors, 2022
4.Functional mimicry of Ruffini receptors with fibre Bragg gratings and deep neural networks enables a bio-inspired large-area tactile-sensitive skin. Nature Machine Intelligence, 2022
5. Laser-induced thermal response and controlled release of copper oxide nanoparticles from multifunctional polymeric nanocarriers, Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, 2021.
6. A multi-point heart rate monitoring using a soft wearable system based on fiber optic technology. Scientific Reports, 2021.
7. Wearable device based on a flexible conductive textile for knee joint movements monitoring. IEEE Sensors Journal 2021.
8. Investigation of the Heat Sink Effect During Microwave Ablation in Hepatic Tissue: Experimental and Numerical Analysis. IEEE Sensors Journal, 2021.
9. Plant Wearable Sensors Based on FBG Technology for Growth and Microclimate Monitoring. Sensors, 2021.
10. Skin Strain Analysis of the Scapular Region and Wearables Design. Sensors, 2021.
11. Soft System Based on Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor for Loss of Resistance Detection during Epidural Procedures: In Silico and In Vivo Assessment. Sensors, 2021.
12. Non-Contact Respiratory Monitoring Using an RGB Camera for Real-World Applications. Sensors, 2021.
13. Fiber Bragg Grating Sensors-based Thermometry of Gold Nanorod-enhanced Photothermal Therapy in Tumor Model, IEEE Sensors Journal 2021.
14. Breath-Jockey: Development and Feasibility Assessment of a Wearable System for Respiratory Rate and Kinematic Parameter Estimation for Gallop Athletes, Sensors, 2021.
15. Smart Sensors for Healthcare and Medical Applications, Sensors (Editorial), 2021.
16. Validation and Assessment of a Posture Measurement System with Magneto-Inertial Measurement Units. Sensors, 2021.
17. Guest Editorial Special Issue on Advances and Current Trends in Sensing Physiological Parameters for Human Wellness and Patient Monitoring, IEEE Sensors Journal (Editorial), 2021.
18. Personalized, Predictive, Participatory, Precision, and Preventive (P5) Medicine in Rotator Cuff Tears. Journal of Personalized Medicine, 2021.
19. The influence of athletic performance on the highest positions of the final ranking during 2017/2018 Serie A season. BMC Sports Science, Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2021.
20. Retear rates after rotator cuff surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 2021.
21. Conservative versus surgical management for patients with rotator cuff tears: a systematic review and META-analysis, BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 2021.
22. Epidemiology of shoulder instability in Italy: a 14-years nationwide registry study. Injury, 2021.
23. Temperature Monitoring in Hyperthermia Treatments of Bone Tumors: State-of-the-Art and Future Challenges. Sensors, 2021.
24. Techniques for Temperature Monitoring of Myocardial Tissue Undergoing Radiofrequency Ablation Treatments: An Overview. Sensors, 2021.
25. Laser‐induced optothermal response of gold nanoparticles: From a physical viewpoint to cancer treatment application. Journal of Biophotonics, 2021.