Research areas and methodologies
The Nonlinear Physics and Mathematical Models Laboratory deals with research areas transversal to Mathematics, Physics,Ingengineering, biology and medicine. Skills specific to Theoretical Physics and Mathematical Physics are applied both to problems of astrophysics and field theory, and to studies on the Physics of matter with particular attention to the modeling of complex biological phenomena. In this area, the research activity is focused on human pathophysiology (cardiac, intestinal, neural, endocrine, etc.) through the formulation and resolution of mathematical models calibrated on experimental evidence. Advanced numerical calculation and data analysis are used in order to obtain predictive models of the behavior of physiological systems.
The Research Group has been developing models of cardiac dynamics for over a decade, with particular attention to the effects of electro-mechanical and thermo-electric interactions on arrhythmias and fibrillation, through international scientific collaborations with well-known Research Institutes.
The Laboratory of Nonlinear Physics and Mathematical Models constantly continues to extend its internal skills through an intense activity of participation in international conferences and advanced courses as well as through new national and international scientific collaborations. In this perspective, the training of doctoral students belonging to the Laboratory is central.
The scientific production of the Research Group consists of dozens of publications in high-impact international journals, with undergraduate and PhD students as co-authors. The collaboration with research groups belonging to the Campus Bio-Medico University Hospital enriches its interdisciplinary and applicative value in the biological and clinical fields.
Collaborations with other Research Centers
- Campus Bio-Medico University Hospital of Rome (IT)
- ICRA (International Center for Relativistic Astrophysics) (IT)
- ICRANet (International Center for Relativistic Astrophysics Network)
- Polytechnic University of Milan (IT)
- University "G. D' Annunzio" of Chieti-Pescara (IT)
- Laboratory of Physique, ENS de Lyon and CNRS (FR)
- Virtual Physiological Human Institute (VPHI)
- Georgia Institute of Technology (USA)
- Rochester Institute of Technology (USA)
- Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self Organization (D)
- Pontifical Catholic University of Chile (RHC)
- Ecole Polytechnique Federal de Lausanne (CH)
- University of Lausanne (CH)
Nonlinear Physics and Mathematical Models
- Theoretical Physics, Field Theory and Astrophysics
- Mathematical models
- Nonlinear systems of ODEs and PDEs
- Multiphysics models
- Stochastic models
- Statistical models
- Nonlinear network models
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Theoretical and computational continuum mechanics
- EMF calculation
- Experimental analysis of soft tissues
- high-performance numerical calculation tools:
- 2 HP Z800-class dual-processor Workstations
- 1 xw6400-class biprocessor HP Workstation
- 4 HP desktop computers
- COMSOL Multiphysics + Structural Mechanics Module software.
- Library with scientific monographs