Research areas and methodologies
The Research Unit operates in the field ofingprocess engineering, conducting theoretical and experimental activities regarding the chemical-physical foundations of the main processes of the chemical industry. The analysis of the aforementioned processes starts from the study of the thermodynamic foundations underlying them, and then proceeds with in-depth investigations relating to the transport phenomena and the subsequent implementation of the basic design of the processes under study.
At the same time, the Research Unit investigates and develops innovative processes to support the ecological transition. These are analyzed taking into account the energy, economic and environmental aspects, in order to verify their effective sustainability.
Main research activities
- Modeling and process optimization of thermal storage tanks coupled with molten salt CSP plants (in collaboration with ENEA Casaccia, Rome, Italy)
- Modeling and optimization of CO2 removal and reuse plants (in collaboration with Czestochowa University of Technology)
- Modeling of Steam Reform processesing and Water Gas Shift for the production of hydrogen (in collaboration with the Italian Institute for Membrane Research - ITM/CNR, Rende, Italy)
- Modeling and simulation of processes related to the dehydration of natural gas
- Analysis of industrial plants with 4E approach (Energy, Exergy, Environment, Economics)
- Environmental impact assessments through Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
- Production, separation and purification of first and second generation biofuels and bioplastics (in collaboration with Kinetics Technologies KT, Rome, Italy)
- Reuse/desalination of water from non-conventional sources
- Advanced oxidation processes of organic pollutants using cavitation reactors
Collaborations with other Research Centers
- ENEA - National agency for new technologies, energy and sustainable economic development - Italy
- CUT - Czestochowa University of Technology - Poland
- CSIC-INCAR – Instituto Nacional del Carbon, Spain
- ITAE - Institute of Advanced Technologies for Energy "Nicola Giordano" - Italy
- CERIS-IST-UL – CERIS, Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa - Portugal
"Laboratory 1" – The Laboratory of IngEgneria Chimica is equipped to conduct the UdR's experimental research activities and to allow the carrying out of educational experiences aimed at students of the University.